Anita Thigpen is the long time wife of former Texas governor, Rick Perry. Some of you might had been shocked to learn her 66-year-old husband had singed up for season 23 of DWTS. However, Anita’s husband of 34-years is in fact giving his all on stage along with pro partner, Emma Slater.
James Richard Perry was born March 4, 1950. He served as Texas 47th governor from December 2000 to January 2015. Perry who is the longest-serving governor in Texas history, also served as chairman of the Republican Governors Association in 2008 and again in 2011. He ran for the Republican nomination for president twice.
Rick who served three full terms as Texas governor, couldn’t have done it wihtou the lovely, Anita Thigpen. The childhood sweethearts have known each other since elementary school.
Anita Thigpen is the mother of the couple’s two adult children, Griffin and Sydney. Let’s get to know her better in the facts below.
1. She was born Mary Anita Thigpen on May 5, 1952 in Haskell, Texas.
2. She is the one of four children born to Dr. Joe and Beunis Thigpen. Her siblings are Joseph, Peggy and Emily.
4. Anita attended West Texas State University and earned a degree in nursing. She also holds a Master of Science in Nursing degree from the University of Texas.
5. She has spearheaded a number of health-related initiatives.
6. She has also helped develop and host the Texas Conference for Women.
7. She worked for nearly two decades nursing the areas of surgery, pediatrics, intensive care, consulting and administration.
8. As a former Texas first lady, she promoted health care issues.
9. She served as an advocate on a variety of issues including family violence prevention.
10. Anita and her husband have two grandchildren.
She is active on Twitter here.